Liver Stabil Description:
Liver Stabil is a liver support supplement. It contains more than a dozen natural ingredients designed to help protect and detoxify the liver, and may be specifically useful during exposure to hepatotoxic substances such as oral anabolic/androgenic steroids. At the foundation of this formula are several clinically studied ingredients similar to those found in Liv-52 and Essentiale forte. For example, cichorium intybus, which was originally an old Turkish folk medicine, has been the subject of modern studies showing it can protect the liver from toxic substance damage. It has specifically been shown to lower liver enzymes (aspartate amino-transferase and alanine amino-transferase) and bilirubin levels after toxic exposure.758 Arjuna is also used, and again has been shown to lower liver enzyme levels and stress markers following hepatotoxic substance administration.759 Yarrow (achillea millefolium) was also included, and may help reduce hepatic inflammation and regulate bile secretion.760 Phosphatidylcholine (a key constituent of cellular membranes including liver cells) and a combination of key vitamins round out the Liv-52/Essential forte-like base of the Liver Stabil formula.
Liver Stabil expands on its foundation with four additional well-studied liver health ingredients.The most prevalent of these are N-acetyl cysteine and L-glutathione. Both nutrients are important to maintaining ongoing liver health, and may be especially useful in countering hepatic glutathione depletion,761 an effect common with oral AAS toxicity.762 Next, milk thistle extract standardized for silymarin content is included. Silymarin contains several key flavonolignans that protect and detoxify the liver. In fact, this natural remedy is one of the most extensively studied and proven liver detoxification supplements, and in some regions is widely prescribed by physicians to treat numerous liver diseases including alcohol cirrhosis. An extensive review of more than a dozen placebo-controlled studies with the use of silymarin on patients with cirrhosis have shown it to consistently reduce aspartate amino-transferase levels and even liver-related mortality.763 Regardless of the chosen liver support regimen, milk thistle should be included. Lastly, wasabi japonica is a rich source of 6-methylsulfinylhexyl isothiocyanate (6-HITC). The nutrient 6-HITC is an inhibitor of glutathione S-transferase, an enzyme that breaks down hepatic glutathione.764
Liver Stabil was developed in 2008 by William Llewellyn for Molecular Nutrition (United States). The focus was specifically on designing a supplement that can help support liver health in users of hepatotoxic substances such as oral anabolic/androgenic steroids. The formula was intended to target several key areas of steroid-induced liver toxicity including general liver strain and hepatic enzyme elevations, glutathione depletion, inflammation, and bile secretion and transport. Liver Stabil can be found through international distribution, most notably in Canada, Australia, and certain parts of Europe. Note that in some regions with strict controls over nutritional supplements Liver Stabil may be considered a natural drug product, and may be subject to certain rules and regulations concerning its importation and sale.
Liver Stabil is supplied in capsules containing a blend of N-acetyl cysteine, milk thistle extract, wild chicory (cichorium intybus), L-glutathione, wasabi japonica, arjuna (terminalia arjuna), phosphatidylcholine, yarrow (achillea millefolium), vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, vitamin E, and niacin.
Liver Stabil is a natural dietary supplement and is not expected to have notable side effects.
For general liver support or as an adjunct to hepatotoxic pharmaceuticals, Liver Stabil is taken at a dosage of 3 capsules per day. A dosage of up to 6 capsules per day may be taken during periods of heightened hepatic strain. Note that a natural product such as Liver Stabil may help reduce the level of liver toxicity, but cannot be relied upon to completely eliminate potential damage from the abuse of hepatotoxic drugs. Care should always be taken to monitor liver health when taking liver toxic substances.
Liver Stabil is produced in the U.S. by Molecular Nutrition. It is available for export, and may be found in Canada, Europe, Australia, and some other international markets.
758. Anti-hepatotoxic effects of root and root callus extracts of Cichorium intybus L. Zafar R, Mujahid Ali S. J Ethnopharmacol. 1998 Dec;63(3):227-31.
759. Aqueous extract of Terminalia arjuna prevents carbon tetrachloride induced hepatic and renal disorders. Manna P, Sinha M, Sil PC. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2006 Sep 30;6:33.
760. Achillea millefolium L. s.l. revisited: recent findings confirm the traditional use. Benedek B, Kopp B. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2007;157(13-14):312-4.
761. N-acetyl-cysteine protects liver from apoptotic death in an animal model of fulminant hepatic failure. San-Miguel B, Alvarez M, Culebras JM, GonzálezGallego J, Tuñón MJ. Apoptosis. 2006 Nov;11(11):1945-57.
762. Toxic effects of anabolic-androgenic steroids in primary rat hepatic cell cultures.Welder AA, Robertson JW, Melchert RB. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods.
763. An updated systematic review with meta-analysis for the clinical evidence of silymarin. Saller R, Brignoli R, Melzer J, Meier R. Forsch Komplementmed.
764. A sulforaphane analogue that potently activates the Nrf2-dependent detoxification pathway. Morimitsu Y, Nakagawa Y et al. J Biol Chem. 2002 Feb
1;277(5):3456-63.Epub 2001 Nov 12.